Monday, September 11, 2006

Thoughts on Mexico: Mexicans are funny (in honor of Spot and LR)

It's pretty fantastic, actually. Two of my favorite horn players that I had the pleasure of playing with in a previous era are just beginning their "orchestra job in another country" experiences. Welcome to the club. Anyway, they have recently provided some interesting, chuckle-inducing lists (LR's, Spot's).

I'll admit it, I feel left out. I never made a list like that. So I'm going to now.

1) Do they really think that if they yell out "Hello lady!" in a thick accent as I bike by, I might think they speak English and stop to chat?

2) I don't want to buy a hammock. Ever. Stop asking.

3) Hot water is not included. I learned this the hard way, after renting a house, wondering why I couldn't get it to work, and learning that I had to actually purchase my own boiler, and pay to get it installed. Fortunately, hot water is also not exactly necessary in this climate, so I was able to hold off a few months on that.

4) Sí, se llama el corno. Never heard of it? Well, it's like a trumpet, except it's a spiral, and I put it on my knee, and the sound goes backwards. Still never heard of it?

5) Yucatan has a thing for pork, tortillas, beans, limes, habanero, avocado and salsa. Fortunately, I adore all of the above.

6) Spot, this place is the same, sooo dusty! Why is that? We get plenty of rain!

7) When it rains, you can't do aaannnyyything. So don't make plans for about 5 pm-8 pm, period.

8) LR, Humidity isn't all bad, but all humidity is. From www.weather.com today-- "Humidity-100 %" (I swear, I did not make that up for effect- click the link to the right if you don't believe me). It said nowhere in the ad for this job on musicalchairs "must be willing to sweat...all the time."

9) Yes, I'm from the US. No, I'm not studying here, I work here. How nice you think I speak Spanish so well. No, actually I don't have a boyfriend. And no, you cannot have my phone number. Or my email address. Or my address. Adios.


Whew, feeling much better. G'night!



1 comment:

Pecatonica String Quartet said...

Oh God... I was trying so hard to NOT laugh out loud in the hospital. Way to go chica-- making my day! Tschau.