Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The Best and Worst of 2007

In no particular order.

Best Gorditas: Guanajuato, Guanajuato. off Plaza Baratillo. Don't know what a gordita is? Click here. Wanna try one? Click here.

Worst Traffic Jam: Texcoco, Mexico. Cops, impound lots, bribes, fender-benders, un-fallible combi-drivers, and endless kilometers of traffic, this city has it all. But once you get to Lecheria it's smooth sailing!

Best Driver: BP. Hands down. What would I have done without him?

Best Express Mechanic: Out-in-the-boonies, Guanajuato.

Worst Weather: TIE: Yucatan in June and Minnesota in January. For very different reasons. Why is that my work schedule put me in these locations at these times?!?

Best Island: Isla Contoy, off the coast of Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo.

Worst Internet Cafe: Random street, Guanajuato, Guanajuato. Only-coin operated machines. Do you have change for bills? No. Does the machine take one-peso coins? No. Does it warn me when my time is about to run out? No. When I've used my only five-peso coin does it let me close my e-mail account, bank account, and Skype account pages? No. Could you do that for me then? No. Will I EVER come here again? No.

Worst Conductor: Five-way tie, but each in their very special ways. No names necessary.

Best Coffee: San Cristobal, Chiapas. Beans, that is.

Best Cappuccino: Cafe Tal, Guanajuato, Guanajuato (although the beans are from Veracruz).

Worst Drivers: TIE: Culiacan, Sinaloa and Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Neither quick nor astute decision making is a high priority in these towns.

Best Waves: Acapulco, Guerrero.

Best Sunsets: Mazatlan, Sinaloa.

Best Whale-Shark Swimming: Isla Holbox.

Best Tuna Melt: Still Mom's kitchen, Plymouth, MN. For the comfort food to really work, you have to be home. And tuna isn't that big in Mexico anyway.

Best Party: The Beach House in Chelem. 24 hours, almost, was it?

Worst Cantina: That one in Oaxaca. Does anyone ever really know the actual name of the Cantina they're in?

Best Blog Post: May Day. In my opinion.

Worst Book: Fingersmith. Someone will tell you to read it. Don't! (Sorry JD.)

Best Performance: Oaxaca City, Oaxaca. Cuarteto Ciurlionis. Works by Villa-Lobos, Piazolla and Grieg.

Worst Performance: The one I left at intermission.

Best Woodwind Quintet: TIE: Prairie Winds (Madeline Island) and Penta Musica (Morelia, Michoacan)

Best Long Weekend: Solo Trip to Xalapa. Concerts, Lessons, Running into Random Old Friends, and walking around one of the coolest cities in Mexico.

Worst Experience in an Airport: Mexico City. Waiting 12 hours (5 am to 5 pm) in the airport because I arrived way too early and couldn't change my flight. Hadn't slept the night before. Freezing the entire time. Drinking 9 cups of coffee at Wings to stay warm and awake.

Best Yoga Class: Merida, Yucatan. Great teacher, great space, great timing, great company. May it continue to bring peace to that part of the orchestral world.

Best Friday: Merida, Yucatan. Fish tacos and white wine with MT. Three dates in one day.

Best Cook: TIE: RM and MT. Thanks guys!

Best Shower: Cordoba, Veracruz. Hotel room of hotel I can't remember the name of. Huge. Knobs on opposite side of shower head. Good soap dispenser. HUGE.

Best Pop Song Reference in Rehearsal: JM, Heard it Through the Grapevine. Man that's a good song.

Worst Experience that's really the Best Experience: MAC (Monday Audition Club). Playing for your colleagues/friends is scary and depressing and difficult. And challenging and informative and powerful. Thanks guys.

Worst Run: Panoramic Hwy, Guanajuato, Guanajuato. High altitude + very little exercise for 2 months=very painful run.

Worst Gig: Patrimonio, "El Viaje de Terror."

Best Gig: Sleeping Beauty, Mazatlan, Sinaloa.

Best Buffet Restaurant: TIE: Cocina de Ana, Mazatlan, Sinaloa and El Midi, Guanajuato, Guanajuato.

Alright, I could go on for days, but I'll leave it at that.

My New Years Resolutions:
1) Stop biting my nails
2) Start writing on my blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw shucks...I'm blushing. Agree about the shower, that was huge.

Pecatonica String Quartet said...

C!
I loved the kayak link. If curiosity really did kill. I'd be dead! :P

I got goose bumps thinking about the Isla Contoy trip. The friendship, people and natural beauty that was rolled into that short trip will affect me for the rest of my life. Thanks for being the friend that shared that with me!

Miss, love and see you soon! Oh and call me when you can so we can figure out Madtown tearin' up! ;)

Best South O' the Border experience ever: Yucatan with C and all the adventures that stemmed from it!

Pecatonica String Quartet said...

I don't know about your first resolution... but your second sure isn't happening. :P