Saturday, April 28, 2007

Only 3:13 pm and I feel like I've learned a lot of stuff today.

1) It is NOT a good idea to go out dancing until 4 in the morning when you have to work with children at 10 am the next day and make a recording at noon.

2) I can, however, survive the said situation.

3) Kids of ages 5 and 7 learn another language best through music, hands down. Show a bunch of pictures of fruits and repeat the names over and over? Nothing. Give it a melody (I like to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas, I like to eat eat eat (insert fruit shown on flashcard here)) and they are all over it in no time.

4) Always have change for a taxi.

5) How a particular event goes depends almost entirely on forethought.

6) You cannot get a good take of a Mozart concerto in a room with a tinny piano and no air conditioning in this place in April. Absolutely impossible.

7) Half step, whole step, half step is a cool lick on a dominant-seven chord in a jazz tune.

8) There is actually such a thing as a heat so intense that you cannot sleep, breathe or think.

OK, that last one was an exaggeration, but I need to attempt to describe the climate to those of you who haven't a clue.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta disagree with #4. Cabbie has no change, cabbie doesn't get paid.

C de C said...

But sometimes, before you know quite what's happening because you don't understand mumbling yuca slang, cabbie instead drives to a store, goes to buy a torta and get change, comes back, drives you back and 15 minutes later drops you back at the place you were before. Not a big deal, but slightly annoying.

Anonymous said...

Gotta disagree with #5.
How a particuar event goes depends on how you generate it at the time.

Forethought is useful of course, but not determinative. See your blog of your day in the Yellow City--what a great event and not too much forethought in that one. And I love being prepared.

JP

Pecatonica String Quartet said...

Yo. I just put you in my bookmark bar so I hopefully won't keep falling behind in reading your blog. I like the recap of our 70+ minute conversation we had yesterday. So great! Heat would be good... not that intense though. I'd probably just nap allll the time! But it's May here and I'm freezing mostly because of this STUPID COLD I have. oh grrrr.