Sunday, September 21, 2008

It's Easy to Start Taking Things for Granted, Like Your Middle Name

As I was walking home today, I realized that after a measley six months in this place, I'm already starting to take it for granted. Sometimes I forget that I live in a place people come from all over the world to visit. But then I see a couple with matching tourist shoes (you know what I mean, right?), and it snaps me out of it.

That's what did it this afternoon, and the rest of my walk home was different- I appreciated the artists in front of the temple and the clown on the steps of the theater and the families eating together and the people oohing and aahing over the plaza I walk through every day. It's a nice reminder.

A lot of things have been happening in my life lately that make me appreciate the things I have usually taken for granted. For instance, I've been to the doctor probably 10 times this month. Nothing too serious, but it still makes me appreciate all the health I do have, as I contemplate doing leg lifts every morning and night for the rest of my life to keep my bad knee good, what migraine pills I have to always have in my purse because this is a new lovely little addition to my life, and that I just have to drink more water, as every doctor from head to knee mentions. But other than that every thing's fine, and I'm appreciative.

I had a cast on for ten days, and boy, when that comes off, you sure are grateful for the ability to walk again.

And then I was cleaning my room and getting ready for "work" by listening to a recording of the pieces we're playing next week. And the music is so beautiful and I was just overwhelmed with the realization is that it's part of my JOB to listen to beautiful music on a Sunday evening. That is not overlook-able- I refuse to ever take that for granted.

I'm also in a real relationship for maybe the first time in my life, and I would say one of the main differences between this and a fling is that there are ups and downs. (hence the rollercoaster comment, for those of you that are stalking me on more than one internet medium.) In a fling there are no downs, once it's down it just ends. Hence a fling having no substance and me being sick of them. The downs in this, and working them out, make me appreciate the ups, and they make the ups better, really. So, I'm feeling pretty darn lucky for my sweeeeet novio.

I just realized that maybe I'm anticipating Thanksgiving (my most homesick holiday) and I'm reminded of my latest self-resolution (besides drink more water)- whenever I'm homesick, I just practice. I figure, I left the States to do all this stuff on horn, so if I'm missing my family, I need to take advantage and do what I came here to do. Which makes me grateful to have a job I really love- playing great music every day. And grateful for the opportunities I get down here (I get to play a concerto with a real orchestra in November!!)

So, when this label on my knee x-ray came along, it was just the icing on the cake. Because really, how often do you get to feel especially grateful for your middle name (mine is Mayhew)?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought your concerto was with the UADY?

Anonymous said...

Aaaah, Fraulein Mayhem we meet again! Hahahahaha.... (Strokes large fluffy cat and squints maliciously)

Pecatonica String Quartet said...

Hahahaha.

Claire is back back back!!! I misssssed you!!

Keep me posted on the SD gig. It'd be sooo fun. :)

Love,
A