Wednesday, June 14, 2006

'Renting it

My dad and my step-mom are staying with me right now- this is the second night of eight. It is such a mix of experiences to have them here. Obviously, first and foremost, I am present to how much I've missed them and how lucky I am to have such great parents in my life. And it is bliss to have people that know all about me here in this city-I have a level of comfort with them that takes years to develop, no matter how great my friends are here, our three-month old relationships just don't cut it. But my experience of their visit runs a bit deeper than that.

It is amazing how we become who we are in any given moment in direct relation to the person we are with. And so, as I play tour guide of this city for GH and LG, I am seeing everything through a different pair of eyes, not quite fresh, but not quite accustomed either. Today I saw the theater, even the orchestra, my neighborhood, my grocery store, the English school, speaking Spanish, a favorite restaurant, the heat and taking the bus, for the first time again, and it was kind of a shocker; that is, I'm shocked that it's only taken me three months to adjust.

If I think about it for too long, having them here makes me homesick, so I'm going to cut this one short. I will be sad enough when they depart, no point in starting the nostalgia now while they're still here.

Tomorrow: cenotes at Cuzuma! Yes! Swimming and funny little Mayan tour guides!

No comments: