Thursday, June 22, 2006

Universal Languages

Soccer is like music-a universal language. I think that's part of the reason I'm so into both. This morning I biked downtown to have my first cup of coffee in a place with a TV. I'll admit this is the first time in 8 years without a TV that I've considered buying one, just so I could watch the World Cup. Luckily, I live in Mexico, where every establishment, whether jewelry store or sports bar, coffee shop or archaelogical site, has an accessible TV showing any and every game. So I went to Cafe Olimpo, a sort of tourist center,in search of some fellow gringos with whom to support the US. To my dismay, not only were there no gringos to be found, proving the stereotype that Americans don't care about soccer, but Mexico's TV head honchos had decided that the US-Ghana match wasn't even worth broadcasting!!! On the one hand, I was truly disappointed. On the other hand, let's face it, the Italy vs. Czech Republic game was a lot better.

As I drank my coffee (and discovered this amaaazing chocolate muffin!) I got to know Enrique, an old man at the table next to me. In what other context would I ever get to know a guy from a different country, culture, language, economic group, and generation than me? Playing or listening to music, or watching soccer, that's it. Otherwise any opening for communication would be cut off.

So, my desire to meet different sorts of people and practice my Spanish with them was fulfilled this morning. Unfortunately, my nationalistic pride (or what's left of it) was scarred: Ghana ganĂ³.

3 comments:

RG said...

I must disagree with you. As someone who has the benefit of that most American of inventions - TiVo - the US/Ghana game made for far more entertaining soccer than the Italy/Czech Republic game.

And don't get too down about the Americans not advancing. Just remember, we've liberated the Czechs three times in the last 100 years (two wars and the fall of Communism) and Italy got pancaked the last time we fought them. If it weren't for us, the Czechs would be nothing more than a reserve team for Germany.

Anonymous said...

Go the Socceroos! Australia managed to draw its match against Croatia (2-2), and thus advances to the second round for the first time in its history! Hell, Australia has only qualified for the World Cup on one previous occasion, and that was more than 30 years ago. And we didn't even score that time, so this is a hell of coup! I was up at 3AM to watch the game. Too bad there weren't any old man named Enrique in my living room with whom I could share the experience!

And tomorrow night, I cook a Mexican feast for my Aussie friends. These kids need some serious bean-lovin'! They know shit for shit about good Mexican food. So I'll thinking of you, Claire!

Cameron said...

Hi, Claire! Thanks for sending me the link to your blog. They're great; your friends can follow your adventures without you having to write each one individually (although it is nice to get personal letters sometimes!) Your life in Mexico makes fascinating reading.

I, too, have a blog, but don't update it as often as I'd like. Hope to write more regularly in the future. Please check it out when you get a chance.