Thursday, October 05, 2006

Basquetbol

I think this is "supposed to happen" when you live abroad. You get a perspective. Have any of you other abroaders (Spot, LR, BK, anyone?!?) had the experience of seeing something you saw as normal in the states as completely bizarre in another country? And then you realize that it's actually completely bizarre in your own culture as well?

I went to a basketball game tonight- Los Mayas. That's right- the mascot is an "indian" (a Mayan, to be exact) except I didn't see anything Mayan about him- even his skin was white. If there is a single Mayan in the history of the world with white skin...well, there's not.

Realization #1: Mascots?? What is THAT?

The star player for Los Mayas is Lil' Magic (real name: something Dorsey). He is kind of little-he's the point guard. He has corn rows and wears a sweatband that says MaJic on the front and Lil' on the back. He has his own t-shirts for his extra special fans, and he changed shoes, socks, and sweatbands at half time. He made about 50% of his lay ups, but for everyone he made he reacted in a way that would make the naive bystander think he's the best basketball player in the world.

Realization #2: Most basketball players are this way. On TV, it's not so strange, which is true of a lot of things, huh?

The "cheerleaders" here are horrible. They walked out a few minutes prior to half time, threw a few pens into the fans, took off their little outfits to reveal even littler ones, and proceeded to "dance" to "Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot (Like Me)." I put dance in quotations because I wouldn't really call that dancing. It was more like, "look at me, I'm skinny and can move my hips back and forth." There was no routine, no ensemble, no rhythm, they just stood in a mob in the middle of the court and kind of moved back and forth. It was WEIRD.

Realization #3: Is the full routine, with lifts and drops and claps and everything, any more sane?

I went to get a coke 3 minutes before half time to avoid the crowds. There wasn't a single person in line. In fact, there wasn't even anything really available at the concessions, save a pack of Oreos and a few cheap beers. I have a feeling there wasn't a half-time rush.

Realization #4: Americans love to snack. This is not a universal love. It goes without saying, practically, that we (Americans) do it while watching sports (live or on TV), movies, at intermission of plays and concerts, before meals (appetizers?), parties, in class, at work, in the car. I am no exception. Luckily, I can't snack while I play horn.

The game was terribly exciting. Yelling "eso!" and "Donde está la magia??" is still more fun then the English options.

Realization #5: I like watching sports.

Tomorrow-Oakland A's v. Minnesota Twins in TBA sports bar with my sports-watching, viola-playing friend RG (who happens to be from Oakland!).

No comments: