Monday, October 08, 2007

Exactly 140 Pounds

Did you know a bathrobe weighs 2 pounds? Pablo Neruda, 100 Love Sonnets- 1.5. The music I deemed essential to bring with me for the next month, plus all Norway grant application materials-9 pounds. Scores to Beethoven’s Symphonies 4-6 and Complete Piano Concertos- 5 pounds. This purse I bought in Chiapas- 2.5.

I was trying extremely hard last night to make one of my suitcases under 50 pounds. I felt I left sooo many things out of it. I knew one of them would be overweight, but I really thought the one would come in under 50. I get to the airport this morning…

…64 pounds.

So much for that.

I proceeded to transfer as many things from the 64-pound-er to the other suitcase, in order to only have to pay the overweight fee for one of the bags. The Continental agent was kind enough to let me keep the suitcase on the scale, so I could see when it reached exactly 50 pounds (hence knowing the exact weights of some of my favorite items). It wasn’t that difficult, really.

Then, when I put the other suitcase up on the scale…92 pounds. Oofta.

“Oh…este…the limit is 70 pounds.” “What? You didn’t tell me that. Lovely.”

I proceeded to transfer all the things I had just transferred back into the other suitcase, using quitting my job as justification for coughing up the double excess baggage fees.

What I don’t understand is why they even make suitcases that you can fit more than 50 pounds worth of stuff in. It’s infuriating! Deceptive! Cruel.

My mind started to run.

“How in the world am I going to shave off 14 pounds for the month ahead?? I could put some music in my horn case, which I carry with me. I was planning on leaving one pair of jeans at home, and wearing the other one when I travel. The Neruda is going to have to stay at home, even though I usually take it everywhere, since you never know when it might come in handy. I guess I could leave the purse too. But I’m also going to acquire Norwegian textbooks, a coffee mug, and who knows what else. I don’t think it adds up.

The items facing the most competition are clogs vs. running shoes, Maxime Alphonse vs. Kopprasch, and black skirt vs. black pants. As I learned this morning, every little bit counts.

Maybe I could find a lighter suitcase…?”

Despite the inner monologue, I had not completely forgotten the math skills I acquired in high school. 50+20=70 (I could only transfer 20 pounds.) 92-20=72 (The ultimate weight of the other suitcase.) 72 > 70 (One item simply had to go.)

I threw away the bathrobe. I don't know why I ever brought that stupid thing to the Yucatan in the first place.

4 comments:

RG said...

Um yeah, the weight limit for freebie bags in coach on international flights now is 50 lbs. a bag. That changed last September, I believe. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

I, myself, was forced through the same ordeal when I left Valencia for home back in May, though a) I wasn't over by nearly that much and b) my clerk overlooked the overweight bag after I made an effort to move what I could out of the bag and started offering her my socks and boxers.

If you went onto a website like ebags.com you'd probably find that they don't sell so many of the 29-inch suitcases anymore, precisely for the reason you mentioned. There's just not much demand for them anymore.

Oh, and welcome home. See you tomorrow.

Bethany said...

Ooh yeah, definitely know about that, has happened many times for me! Sometimes flirting innocently with the male check-in guy helps.... ;)

Anonymous said...

Clogs(you don't need shoes for running), Maxime Alphonse(more interesting), Skirt(that was a tough one).

Pecatonica String Quartet said...

Claire... I think you should write for a column. That was a well-written little blog. I loved the last line. It totally got me and I started laughing out loud! TALK TO YOU IN REAL CELL PHONE WORLD SOON!