Sunday, October 21, 2007

It’s An Absolutely Miniscule World After All

All right, enough is enough.

When in August I was drinking a beer with a new acquaintance in Oaxaca, and we discovered that we had a non-musician friend in common, and that, oh my gosh, I was sitting across from the oboist I had sent an email to 4 years ago inquiring about orchestras in Mexico!, that was a pretty crazy coincidence.

And when I got back to work, and my colleague JD informed me that he had a met a violinist on Isla Holbox who had met me that same night of the first coincidence in Oaxaca, that was a complicated chain of contacts.

And when I went to Xalapa take lessons with a great teacher I had met in Oaxaca, and our morning lesson was interrupted by this kid, and I turned around, and it was an old friend from YOA who I hadn’t seen in three years, and that same friend turned out to be the son of the teacher I was taking the lessons from, that was an unbelievable happenstance.

And when this same son took me with him to meet the conductor of his orchestra, as he’s looking for a horn player, and as we were waiting in his office the personnel manager of the orchestra turned around and said, “Oh my goodness! Claire!” because he was also an old friend from YOA, that was an unexpected bonus.

And last Monday in the Mexico City airport, while I was stressing out about the person who’s house I was supposed to stay at not answering his phone, when I ran into a friend on his way to play in Yucatan, and we had a coffee and then he delivered all these things I had to get to Yucatan for me, that was a lucky break.

But this, this is the last straw. I just ran into LC, former concertmaster and very good friend of mine in Yucatan. HE LIVES IN SPAIN. I was waiting to board a plane to Mazatlan at gate 24. His flight came in from Venezuela at the exact same gate, he was on his way home. This is a guy who is super busy, always flying from interesting engagement to lucrative gig, rarely has time to answer emails, and I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to see him again. And I ran into him in the airport!!! We got to catch up for a good 15 minutes, which is more than I ever thought I’d get to see him in the next who-knows-how-many-years. It’s been a year since we’ve seen each other, and it will probably be another 5, except with the way the world has been for me lately, maybe I lower that to only one more year after all.

Seriously, what is going on here?? Is somebody messing with me? Am I the protagonist in something like The Truman Show? Is the world shrinking? Are my shakras aligned? My moons in Saturn? Does anyone have an explanation?

The only disadvantage to this very exciting pattern of chance-meetings is that I’m afraid I’m starting to get used to it. Take it for granted. As if every time I walk into an airport or a music school I will expect to stumble across an old friend or maybe even the very person I had been meaning to call.

But the way life is going lately, anything is possible.

2 comments:

Pecatonica String Quartet said...

Ah hem... may I add a few :)

1) Meeting a former Meadowmount counselor (cellist) in a Texas airport waiting for the same flight to Buenos Aires! He even told me all the changes in his normal travel route to Uruguay and why. WHAT luck!

2) Meeting AW's future housemate IN the humungo city of Buenos Aires because I was about to be her roommate for a day!

3) In the middle of po-dunk WI at 11pm at night waiting in a dark barn for some random crap-head country singer to show up and rehearse and out steps his bassist, a girl I met in OHIO at jazz camp and lives in Nashville!

(And yes, I enjoy writing in fragments.) :P

Anonymous said...

When you allow yourself to be open to new possibilities, as you have done recently with your shift to freelancing, you amplify the energy of CONNECTION.

You are expanding your horizons, so your increased "network" is a natural progression, and heightens your chances of "being in the right place at the right time".