Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Playing School

You know how little kids play school? I used to looove to play school. I remember in third grade Kristin LeLoup and I spent a week planning for a sleepover at which we were going to play school. We got some assignments, grading material, nametags, etc. and we did play school for hours on end in her basement. It was fun.

The thing is, actual teaching isn't much different. I make up homework assignments, I write things on the board, I correct homework, I write quizzes, I make lists of things to memorize. And I enjoy it just as much. It's really fun to assign homework and announce an exam schedule. I even like taking attendance.

Plus teaching English is a kick, because it's basically a license to stand in front of a bunch of kids and talk, and that counts as educating them. Even if you just want to tell a story that's on your mind.

My favorite part is making them laugh. And when they ask very sincere questions and I can resolve them. It is truly fulfilling.

I've always been the same way about teaching, since I started doing it in high school, whether the subject be horn, piano, soccer, waiting tables, piano, calculus, chamber music, or English. I dread going to it every time. During it time disappears and I get energized and feel not only good at what I do, but that I'm learning too. Afterwards I get a sort of high that comes from contributing to kids that I inevitably grow to find adorable.

The thing is, I still am sure I don't want to be a teacher primarily, at least definitely not of music. Is that weird?

Oh, and also, I will just say this: mother knows best; the blog has been edited accordingly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

C, You are so cool. I must say I am blogging for the first time and not sure of the protocal but will learn as I learn most things by ignoring direction and plunging in head first. Hope to see you over the holidays. Quattro corno