Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Many things, but not feeling all that creative.

I came up with a lot of good Blog Post Titles in my head today. But I don't want to go through the effort to make the actual post live up to the standard the title sets. So, here ya go.

1)Chile: Qualms and Consejo?

La Orquesta Sinfonica de Santiago has 4 horn job openings. Or they did...huh...that was posted on musicalchairs a few hours ago, now it's not. Strange. Anyway, the reason they have so many openings is because they apparently fired most of the orchestra, or the ones that stuck with the union, or something like that. Some people are trying to get the word out not to apply for these jobs or that reason. But, it's all rumors at this point.

Question- should I send 'em my resume? I'm leaning towards no, but would like comments, please.

(BTW, consejo=advice).

2) It's Beginning to Feel a lot Like Día de los Muertos

Biking home from Brass Quintet rehearsal today was fun because I got to bike through town on the night of a very important holiday in Mexico, "The Day of the Dead." Tonight is a big part of the holiday, and tomorrow we all have vacation, from everything.
I went to a little thing at the music school I teach at, where they had made an altar and cooked a bunch of traditional food (pib=a giant tamale supposedly cooked underground, relleno negro=eggs and chicken in a black sauce, served in tortillas, pan de muerto=dead bread, sweet, slightly orange-y bread, atole=corn based, past drink- ICK). It was fun to learn a bit about the holiday and go around the circle and hear how this time of year is celebrated in Yucatán, the rest of Mexico (because it's different!), United States (that was my turn to talk), Colombia, Italy, and England. Mmmm, one of my favorite parts about my job.

3)You Need Your Knees

Some people from the orchestra organized a soccer game last Sunday. That game was definitely one of my top five favorite moments in Merida to date. It was a perfect day, about 12 people showed up (Mexicans, Brits, Americans, Bulgarians, Russians, men, women, kids, short, tall, just like soccer should be). It was great to be playing again, and great to be spending time with my co-workers without a) drinking nor b) talking about work. And I was even pretty much in shape from all the biking I do here and my exercising kick (no pun intended) I started last month. I have since set that kick aside during my mom's visit and my moving process, but I plan to pick it up again as soon as my knee heals. Oh, that was the point of this paragraph.

The entire game ended with me in goal. Running out to block a shot, slapping the ball to the ground, diving a bit to get it before the oncoming forward could, and my knee giving out. Crunch, "Owww...." and I was on the ground and not walking normally since. The last time my knee gave out was the day I got offered and accepted my job here. (No, I did not get offered another job on Sunday, for those of you that believe in those things.) I've had knee problems for the past 5 years. I've also had a car for the past 5 years. This time it seems a bit more problematic, as I walk and bike everywhere. Luckily I just moved WAY closer to downtown, and I can actually bike in a somewhat one-legged manner. Buses and a new roommate with a car are also contributing. But, I think it is healing more slowly as a result, and I am realizing that I really need to deal with this situation. I think I should take on some real physical therapy and fix this thing. I don't want to be afraid of this happening every time I play soccer, especially if the orchestra games become a regular Sunday thing, like we are hoping.


Well, those titles seemed a lot better before I wrote them down. Oh well. I think I had some more too, but I can't remember them. Basically, life is great. Like my roommates and the house, my moving in is complete now that I finally got my bed moved back into the house, finally playing real music in orchestra again, feeling ready with the brass quintet and no work tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take a look at this link
http://teatromunicipalopina.blogspot.com/2006/06/open-letter-to-foreign-musicians-and.html

Anonymous said...

OH my GOSH I MISS YOU! You are so crazy fun. And that is why even if I don't move to Mexico next year I am moving out of this town that lacks BIG TIME the crazys like us. Seriously- annoyed about this... but your soccer thing was awesome AWESOME! and biking with your horn... man you should see me on my bike with my facemask, helmet, bag and violin... We pretty much rule the planet. Let me know about January.. I'm coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!