Thursday, May 31, 2007

Quite the Juxtaposition

This week has been really great in the orchestra. I have learned a lot each morning, and feel like I am getting a better idea of how to play Schumann from MR, our guest conductor. I have found his rehearsals to be engaging, effective and fun. Plus, everyone leaves in a good mood, which is always a good sign.

Yesterday morning we were in the middle of one of those engaging moments when it was snapped in half like a twig.

We began Oberon Overture- MR explained who Oberon is, explained the magic of the story, and how that came through the music. It was really starting to work- he was demanding more focus from us, I could feel the energy of the group centering and really starting to reach that zeroed-in quality that's especially necessary for magical introductions.

Just as I began to enjoy this new found atmosphere, a woman out in the seats began talking rather loudly to a group of people that had gathered near the back of the hall. MR flicked his head quickly, shot out a brisk "Shhh!" and then turned back, focusing again immediately. Unfortunately, the woman didn't really get the idea, but she did at least start to walk out the door.

Good, I thought, this nice moment won't be ruined.

And it did last a second longer, until the doors at the back of the hall opened again, and in walked...a giant, human-sized R2D2. I kid you not. Talk about a sudden change of emotion. I'm telling you, R2D2 is funny when 3 times its original size.

MR of course could not see this, and his eager focus was too endearing to bust up by laughing outright, but it was pretty hard to stay grounded. I think I only skipped a few bars, but I really hoped he wouldn't notice my facial contortions and think I wasn't into the rehearsal, because I really was.

So, it was pretty funny. But not funny, ha ha. More like, funny, you have to laugh otherwise you'll scream and cry at the giant analogy this is for your whole job...

1 comment:

fox.loris said...

I am confused... I don't get how that could happen, is there more to the story? An R2D2? What was it for, didn't anyone else laugh?