Thursday, February 08, 2007

It's All About the Groove

I'm in the groove of life right now. It's true. The things I have been working on are falling into place. I'm getting to know this fantastic guy that really likes me too. I'm headed to NYC in about a week for business and pleasure, and I feel like I actually have enough money saved to enjoy it. My chops feel really good. I've worked out every day for almost two weeks. I decided to make these stuffed chicken breasts today and I happened to have exactly the ingredients I needed in my kitchen, even though I desperately need to go grocery shopping. This super cool chica is moving in to my house today.

I'm feeling incredibly lucky and hoping it lasts.

So, it's making me think, it's really just all about the groove. You get in the right mind set, approach, "vibe", and with a little bit of luck, everything falls into place. And that's how auditions are.

So for Mozart 3 I just have to get into the lovely-sound, great-intonation, spot-on-time, phrase-to-beat-1 groove. And then Strauss 1 I switch to the slightly-arrogant, pronounced-articulation, beautiful-sound and spot-on time groove. Beethoven 3 has it's triple meter groove, which is important to have in my head before I start. I know the Beethoven 9 groove, it's a bit easier to find. Focus on full air column, four levels of importance in the context of the orchestra. Brahms 3 groove-use more air than you think you'll need. Maintain the ends of the sub-phrases to make the big ones. Mahler 1- playing soft groove means relaxed and fully supported. Subdividing groove. Mendelssohn-nocturne groove. Shosty 5- marcato-solid-block-y groove. Ein Heldenleben- long-relaxed-air paired with snappy-fingers-and-great-rhythm groove. Til Eulenspiegel groove (not attempting to describe that one). Short Call groove- you know it when you have it.

As I write this, I realize that maybe when you're really IN the groove, you can't quite put words to it. With excerpts and life. You are so present and sure of what you are doing, that you just go ahead and play. That's what I like so much about music anyway, being present. That's what my life feels like right now.

Lastly, any of you that would like to shed some light on the Ravel-Piano-Concerto-in-G-groove, I would appreciate it!

Hmmm...was that post cheesy? Think so maybe.

4 comments:

Cameron said...

The "groove" concept works well for the excerpts you are preparing for the audition (as well as Life, of course).

Something which worked for me on the Ravel: visualize the notes literally floating over the staff, floating like clouds in the sky or foam on the water. Very light and airy, unencumbered by gravity. Ethereal.

For some reason on an audition in Sacramento many years ago, during that excerpt I suddenly decided to play the whole passage in one breath. This really impressed the audition committee! (And it lessened the chance of missing notes.)

Pecatonica String Quartet said...

Groovy. ;)

Anonymous said...

Best.
Post.
Ever.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is luck. I think you create it. You can create your groove every day. It is because you say so. It is grace, it is creation, it is loving life!!

JP