Monday, February 26, 2007

Oh, the things I could write about.

I'm having a hard time focusing tonight. My brain is flooded and overwhelmed with all the things I could write about.

I could write about how not only did my maternal grandparents move from their house to assisted living this weekend, but my step-mother's mother also moved in with my dad and her. This would prompt some reflection on aging, family, and the tremendous amount of admiration and love I feel for my parents.

I could write about how my roommate MT is practicing for tomorrow's first rehearsal and her part alone sounds incredibly like the Addam's Family Theme.

I could write about how I am dating someone in a normal way (we both live in the same city, want to be dating, and introduce each other to our friends and stuff) for the first time in...oh...about 6 years. This would prompt far too much reflection on why I have been avoiding this for the last part or, or basically my whole, life, and what I am confronted by and learning about myself in the process. It would also prompt some swooning.

I could write about this nut-so woman I met at FedEx today, who begged me to be her friend as she is new to this city, and in the same breath told me she assumed since I'm an artist I'm into astrology charting and in the same breath told me about how interested in transvestites she is, among about twenty other things.

I could write about whether I should change my embouchure or not. This would prompt an analysis of my sound, note clarity, high range ability, and some questions about how to do this while having a job and making a lot of plans for the summer and how to do it without a teacher.

I could write about how I made cinnamon rolls from scratch this weekend and it was really fun and then my kitchen proceeded to get entirely infested with ants.

I could write about the party I went to last night, where a great cellist shared a private performance of Bach's First Cello Suite, old-fashioned "salon music" style, and afterwards we feasted and enjoyed each other's company. This would prompt some doubt about what has happened to classical music in our world. About what the purpose of music really is, and wondering if that has been lost in all the mess of tickets and tuxedos and contracts and seasons. Or if it's still there and we just don't realize it since it's our job.

Hmmm...let's see, we've got reflection, swooning, analysis, and doubt, amidst some decent one-liners. Somebody pick and I'll try to write about it.

P. S. Horn players--does anyone have or know where to get a) Carlos Chavez Quaret for Horns and b) Fandango by Kerry Turner? And how does one go about purchasing the orchestra parts for a horn concerto?

3 comments:

Pecatonica String Quartet said...

Ooooh no one has picked yet!

I will.

Well, I personally would write about what has happened to classical music and the real point of music but that's because I've been thinking about it (and the major impact it has on the twist my life may take) and talking about it lots lately.

That said, YOU should write about nut-so woman because coming from you it'd be hilarious and something fun and different.

Come visit here soon will ya? ;)

RG said...

The Chavez Sonata for Four Horns is listed in the database on the Sheet Music Service website. The Publisher is Mills Music Inc. I would either call SMS or Mills to check on availability.

For the Turner, Phoenix Music's North American distributor is Brodt Music Co. in Charlotte. You can email them at orders@brodtmusic.com . Or you can order through a music store like SMS. You'll probably get the same price either way.

The easiest way to purchase orchestra parts is to go directly to the publisher, like Kalmus or Luck's. If you don't know who the publisher is, I'm sure that SMS could probably help point you in the right direction. Between Kalmus and Luck's you can get most all of the standard repertoire.

Does Google not work in Mexico? :-)

Kamp said...

I pick: Swooning! Swooning!

First, ingrown toenails and Seinfeld. Now, new romance! We're practically like twins, C de C!