Friday, December 15, 2006

New World vs. Columbus-Advice?

I have the opportunity to get away in February for a few days, so I'm going to take an audition. Both of these auditions fall during the time I'm away...on the same day. I can only take one of them, I'm sure. I haven't decided which one yet. This is where you come in.

I'm going to make a list of the reasons why I should take each audition. If you give me a reason I consider substantial, I will add it to the list. Then I will do what I want to do and justify it with the reasons on the list of the audition I choose. :~)

New World Symphony

Cheap plane ticket to New York
Was already a finalist for them, would like to stay on their list
Can stay with and visit my friend Margo for the long weekend
Definitely want to play in New World Symphony
Have already prepared the list (two years ago)

Columbus Symphony-4th/Utility Horn
Is a real job
Pays $1200 a week, 46 weeks
Is a 4th horn job and I'm working as a low horn player (decent chances)
Probably will feel comfortable with much of the list, although I haven't seen it yet

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you Landmark Graduate--choose New World Symphony or Columbus Symphony because you choose New World Symphony or Columbus Symphony (choose chocolate or vanilla because you choose chocolate or vanilla)and use your energy for choosing instead of anything else.

Cameron said...

I'd advise Columbus if you're interested in getting a permanent low horn job in the States -- IF you end up being comfortable with the list.

I really don't know much about the New World Symphony except that it's an excellent training orchestra. But isn't there an age limit? It sounds like sort of a temporary thing. If you feel that being in that group would further your career significantly, I'd say go for THAT.

Otherwise, Columbus sounds like a good audition to take. I'd be there myself if I were twenty years younger! ;-)